The voluntary help of citizens should be requested by staff through administrative channels for conducting selected activities and/or to serve as resource persons.
A. Serve in the capacity of helpers and not be assigned to roles which require specific professional training. Instructional services shall be rendered under the supervision of certificated staff.
B. Refrain from discussing the performance or actions of a student except with the student’s teacher, counselor or principal.
C. Refer to a regular staff member for final solution of any student problem which arises, whether of an instructional, medical or operational nature.
D. Receive such information as:
1. General job responsibilities and limitations;
2. Information about school facilities, routines and procedures;
3. Work schedule and place of work;
4. Expected relationship to the regular staff;
E. Be provided appropriate training at the building level, if new volunteers, consistent with their tasks and existing district standards. This training shall be developed under the leadership of the principal in consultation with a district supervisor.
F. Have assignments and activities carefully defined in writing. Examples of suggested duties for volunteers may include:
1. Bulletin boards;
2. Preparation of materials for art, science, math classes;
3. Clerical duties including typing, completing inventories, putting booklets together, creating newsletters, tabulating student lunchroom counts or attendance records, etc.;
4. Clean up activities,
5. Library and audio visual duties;
6. Assistance with physical education exercises;
7. Instructional activities appropriate to the volunteer’s training and classroom needs such as monitoring math assignments, listening to oral reading and others;
8. Vision and hearing testing and approved medical surveys;
9. School activities supervision; and
10. Playground supervision with a staff member;
G. Have their services terminated for these and other reasons:
1. Program and/or duties completed;
2. Resignation of the volunteer;
3. Replacement by paid staff member; and
4. Circumstances which in the judgment of the administration may necessitate asking the volunteer to terminate services.
La Center School District Adopted: September 25th, 2007