Policy 2230Transition to Kindergarten
If the state legislature provides full funding for the La Center School District to operate a transition to kindergarten program, it will ensure that the program serves eligible students of all abilities who need additional preparation to be successful in kindergarten and who lack access to other early learning group settings.
The district will consider the best practices pertaining to a transition to kindergarten program as developed in collaboration between the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction and the Department of Children, Youth, and Families. The district may blend or co-locate a transition to kindergarten program with other early learning programs.
Eligibility, Recruitment, and Enrollment
The term “screening process and tools” means using one or more instruments or methods of assessing and measuring the ability and need of an individual student. La Center’s screening tool is linked here.
Children will be eligible to participate in the district’s transition to kindergarten program as follows:
- Based on a screening process and tool as defined above, the district has determined that the child would benefit from additional preparation for kindergarten; and
- The child’s age is at least 4 years old by August 31 of the school year in which they enroll in a transition to kindergarten program.
The district has discretion to establish individualized exceptions for a student who turned 5 years old between June 1 and August 31 of the year they would be eligible by age to enter kindergarten under WAC 392-335-010 but who demonstrates need for additional preparation for kindergarten through a screening process and tool.
In determining eligibility and admitting students to a transition to kindergarten program, the district will:
- Give priority to children most in need of additional preparation to be successful in kindergarten, as demonstrated through a screening process and tool.
- Give priority to children with the lowest family income, not otherwise participating in another local program.
- Not exclude or establish a policy to prohibit participation of an eligible child due only to the presence of a disability.
- Not charge tuition or other fees from state-funded eligible students for enrollment in a transition to kindergarten program.
Cross References: 3110 – Qualification of Attendance and Placement
Legal References: Chapter 28A.300 RCW
La Center School District
Adoption Date: September 26, 2023
Classification: Essential (for districts that offer program)