On November 19th, all 8th grade students visited Medical Teams International’s REAL LIFE exhibit in Tigard, Oregon. Our 8th graders learned first hand that the world is a place of many needs and that making a positive difference is as easy as getting involved. The trip gave students the opportunity to step into eight places where the volunteers of Medical Teams International serve with local in-country partners. Among the scenes they observed were:
- A medical triage clinic after Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.
- A room with a 25-foot tsunami wave, along with stories and drawings made by children who survived the tsunami.
- A Ugandan camp for people displaced by a terrorist group that abducts children and forces them into their “army.”
- A Haitian earthquake site and a tent camp where homeless Haitians are living.
- A Mozambiquan village compound where HIV and AIDS have ravaged the community.