March 13, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians:
To help our state and nation combat the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), La Center School District is closing all of its schools Monday, March 16th through Friday, April 24th at the direction of the Governor. All other school districts in Southwest Washington are closing as well.
Please review the following important information:
- Athletics/Activities: Effective immediately and throughout the closure, ALL athletics and morning/ afternoon/evening and weekend school activities will be canceled. The District will be doing a deep clean of all habitable spaces across our campuses during this time. Thus, all District buildings and grounds will be CLOSED and not used by either the public or staff during this time.
- Make-up Days: We will work to make up as many missed days at the end of the year as feasibly possible.
- Graduation: In conjunction with the state of WA, the District will be reviewing any modifications the state might make to graduation requirements in light of these closures so that our seniors are not negatively impacted. As those plans are solidified, we will confirm that we can maintain our current graduation ceremony date.
- Ongoing Planning: La Center School District will develop contingency plans and address issues during this period of time as they arise. We are currently working to publish an FAQ paper that hopefully will answer many of your questions.
- We will continue to provide updates on this rapidly developing situation in several ways:
- Email via Skyward
- Phone call via School Messenger
- Mobile app notification via the La Center App
- Our Website
- Our Facebook page
GUIDANCE FROM OUR NURSES
Please stay home when you or your child is showing symptoms of: Fever, cough, and/or shortness of breath. The current recommendation is to stay at home until you are symptom-free for at least 72 hours, without the use of fever-reducing medication.
How do I pick up medications that are housed at school: Medications will be sent to the district office and available for parents and guardians to pick up if needed. Any medication that remains will be returned to the schools when we reopen.
The school closure is an effort to support recommendations for social distancing and keep vulnerable populations safe. That being said, we encourage folks to keep gatherings to a minimum in hopes of breaking the cycle of this virus in our community.
Thank you for your understanding and patience as we address this unprecedented situation. We are committed to the safety and well-being of our students, their families, our staff members, volunteers and this community.
Please continue to take care of yourselves and one another. We are a resilient community, and I know that we will get through this challenging time together.
Dave Holmes, Superintendent
La Center School DistrictCOVID -19 Letter 3-13-20